in New Glasgow.
CHEF Emily Wells | PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
CHEF Emily Wells
PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
Mains & Appetizers
- Chicken Pot Pie $30 (pieces can be wrapped individually before freezing) | Serves 6-8
- Curry Chicken Pot Pie $30 (pieces can be wrapped individually before freezing) | Serves 6-8
- Tourtiere $30 (pieces can be wrapped individually before freezing) | Serves 6-8
- Lasagna Bolognese $12 pp
- Ham OR Chicken, Leek & Broccoli Quiche $30 | Serves 6-8
- Tomato, Mushroom & Kale Quiche $28 | Serves 6-8
- Lamb & Feta Meatballs in Marinara Sauce $12pp GF & DF
- Chicken Bacon Pesto Meatballs in creamy Marinara Sauce $12pp
- Macaroni & Cheese (plain or with Broccoli) $8pp
- Italian Sausage Marinara Sauce with Sweet Peppers $10 (500ml)
- Classic Marinara Sauce (great for pizzas or pasta) $6 (500ml) GF & DF
- Crab Cakes $4 each DF
- Honey Mustard Dressing $5 (250ml) | (5 (500ml)
Soups | 500ml $7, 1 litre $13
- Beef Barley Soup DF
- Curried Butternut Squash Soup GF & DF & Vegan
- Carrot Ginger Soup GF (can be DF upon request)
- Creamy Tomato Pesto Soup GF
- Triple Fudge Brownies (2 per bag) $7
- Chocolate Chip Pecan Cookies (6 per bag) $8
- GF Brownies with Almonds (6 per bag) $7
- Oatmeal Raisin Cookies (6 per bag) $6
- Bourbon Pecan Pie (serves 8-10) $42
Our local suppliers
- Brookfield Gardens
- Larkin Farms
- Red Soil Organics
- Schurman Family Farm
- Soleil’s Farm
- Steerman Quality Meats
- Taylormade Meats
The Mill’s dining room, which overlooks the River Clyde and the rolling hills of New Glasgow, PEI; its eclectic loft; and take-out marché invite you to savour delicious meals in the company of family and friends. Traditional recipes are updated with a contemporary twist, placing local ingredients supplied by PEI farmers, fishers and food producers front and centre. Community is the beating heart of The Mill — the building has a rich history as a public hall and gathering place, which continues today thanks to Emily’s work with The River Clyde Pageant, Farmers Helping Farmers, and other local initiatives. Join us for a meal, a drink, or a visit to the marché. We’re open Wednesday through Sunday, from 12-3pm for lunch and from 5 to 9pm for dinner.
HISTORY OF THE MILL
The Mill in New Glasgow started life as the New Glasgow Hall, built around 1896. The Hall served several functions in the community; as a courthouse and as a gathering place for social events, meetings, debates and dances. In later years, the New Glasgow Hall was used for training sessions by the Reserve Army, local church suppers, and square dances hosted by the Junior Farmers. In the 1960s, the Hall was converted into a grist mill by the Dingwell family, and sold to Roland Larkin in the mid-1970s. In 1997 it was converted by Roland’s son and daughter-in-law, Harvey and Rosemary, into the Olde Glasgow Mill Restaurant. Emily Wells purchased the restaurant from the Larkins in 2015 and renamed it The Mill in New Glasgow.
Public halls played an important role in the life of Prince Edward Island communities throughout the 20th century, as venues for community celebrations, convenings, meals and more. In recent years, The Mill has reconnected with its former function thanks to workshops, picnics and events held there by The River Clyde Pageant, Farmers Helping Farmers, and other local initiatives.
About Chef Emily Wells.
Emily is passionate about local food, ethical food production and cooking and eating as a way to strengthen our ties to land, ancestry and culture. Emily has been a lead organizer and chef for the Fall Harvest Lunches in support of Farmers Helping Farmers for the past 15 years, raising over $25,000 in support of farmers and farming families in Kenya.
Emily is a co-founder of The River Clyde Pageant, with her brother Ker Wells and Megan Stewart. She is the chef and community liaison for the Pageant, organizing and preparing the outdoor meals that have concluded every performance since the Pageant began in 2016.
Emily was the winner of the 2015 Taste Our Island Award. In July 2016, she was named one of the top chefs in Canada by Matador Network.
The Loft is a multi-purpose room available for rentals, including private parties, meetings, catered lunches and live music events. Inquire for rates.
The River Clyde Pageant
The River Clyde Pageant comes to life every summer with a program of free workshops for community members of all ages that culminate in the creation of a full-length theatrical production on land and water. Pre-Pageant events are held throughout the summer at The Mill, with the final production taking place across the river, at the end of July and August.
Learn more about The River Clyde Pageant here.
Book your reservation today.
Call 902.964.3313 to book
HOURS • SUMMER 2021 (until Sept. 31)
- Open Wednesday to Sunday
- Lunch from 12:00 – 2:30
- Dinner from 5 – 9
HOURS • FALL 2021 (Oct. 1 – 31 — see our schedule at the top of this page for closures)
- Open Friday to Sunday
- Dinner only – 5 – 9
MARCHÉ HOURS (until Sept. 31)
- Open Wednesday to Sunday
- 11:30 – 9
MARCHÉ HOURS (Oct. 1 – 31)
- Open Friday to Sunday
- 5 – 9
5592 Route 13,
New Glasgow, PE